Sunday, March 16, 2008

A quiet weekend

This weekend has been uneventful and pretty quiet.  I wrote my paper for school (a comparative essay on two 16th century poems), did our income taxes and took out a small roast to cook, but someone put in back on the freezer at some point, so now I have nothing to cook for dinner.  Doesn't bother me as I'm a vegetarian, but everyone else is going to be disappointed when they realize that their dinner was stuffed back into the freezer!

Gerald, Meaghan and I went out to Chapter's last night to browse the store.  While we were there, I realized that Chapter's is one thing I'll miss in a BIG way.  If you're not familiar, Chapter's is a huge bookstore with seating areas, a Starbuck's and more books than you would imagine possible.  It's one of my favourite places to go!  It's also open really late (11 p.m. on Saturdays) so it's sometimes where Ger and I go for a "date".  

Of course, we ended up in the international travel section, picking up and flipping through every book that had anything to do with Mexico.  I also spent some time looking through the section on home-based businesses seeing if there was anything that might be of use to Gerald as he figures out what he's going to do while we're in Mexico.  Nothing grabbed my attention though.

I needed to look something up in the French language section (for school, of course...  what else do I do with my free time?) and came across some Spanish language cd's.  So, being the language nerd that I am, I bought one for 40$.  It has CD's to play and a CD that can be played on your home computer.  It also has all the lessons in text format so I can print them out as well.  I like that option because I don't just want to know how to speak spanish, but also how to write it.  Meaghan and I spent some time this morning on the computer learning some new words.

Besides all that, I did nothing.  Some housekeeping, laundry and stuff, of course, but nothing really worth taking up your time with.  

The kids head back to school tomorrow after another March break, and I'm getting desperate for the end of my school year to get here.  I'm tired, getting cranky, and I really need a break from classes.  Having the summer off will be such a treat!  I have no idea what I'll do with all my spare time!


2 comments:

CancunCanuck said...

Mucha suerte con tu español! It's difficult to learn on your own, it would be great to find a group nearby where you can practice. If you are near the university there might be some Spanish speaking students willing to help. The best method is just to try it out with someone in a casual conversation. They'll know you are making an effort and will do what they can to help.

Here's a couple online sites I like for Spanish learning (the verbs kill me!)

http://www.studyspanish.com/tutorial.htm

http://mld.ursinus.edu/~JARANA/ejercicios/index.html

Beth said...

Mucho gracias!

That's a great idea! I'll check out the websites as well. I only know one person who speaks spanish, so I try things out on him when I see him, but he speaks so fast that I have trouble deciphering the words! I'm way ahead of where I was though, so there's progress!