Friday, March 7, 2008

An introduction

Earlier this year, my husband Gerald and I took our first trip to Mexico.  We stayed in Cancun for one week.  He had won the trip last year from a radio station, and believe me...  we NEEDED a vacation.

In about 2 weeks I'll be turning 39, and in June Ger will turn 40.  We have 2 kids, Mike who will turn 18 in June, and Meaghan who will be 8 in July.  Yup - big age difference.  I work full time, I attend university at night working on a bachelor's degree in English Literature and French.  Gerald also works full time and referee's hockey on the side.  We have 2 beautiful dogs, Chorney, a German Shepperd who is almost 13, and Trap, a retired greyhound who will be 5 in April.  Filling out the crew is Diego, a barn-cat turned house cat.

Our lives are full.  Busy.  Tiring.  Scheduled.   

Anyway.  Back to the point I was going to make.  I am somewhat of an adventurous spirit.  New adventures and experiences get me all excited.  I love to be consumed by thinking about something that really turns my crank!

Since the day I met Gerald, I have always said that one of these days I want to move to another country and start a new life.  Gerald, is not as adventurous as I am.  He's getting better, but he's still a little stuck in his ways.  I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that he didn't experience a lot in his life before me.  There was no travelling to other countries, no going for a long drive and getting lost on purpose, no adventure.

I had a much different upbringing.  There was a lot of travelling - right across Canada and all over the United States.  When I got older I travelled a little more, and after meeting Ger, I did get him out of the country to Cuba and on a Caribbean cruise.  Then he won the trip to Mexico, and now loves to travel almost as much as I do.

So back to my desire to move to another country.  I had never actually 'picked' a country in the past to move to.  I just knew that I wanted to.  Once we'd come back from Cancun, I was secretly hooked, but didn't say anything to Ger.  I started doing some research on the internet - looking up Mexico, moving, education, schools, you name it.  That's when I ran across a few of the blogs here written by people who have been fortunate enough to live my dream.  

The other day, I cautiously introduced the topic of moving to Gerald in an email.  (We email each other a lot during the day - it's sometimes the only way we get to have a conversation!)  I 'planted the seed' let's say.  I sent him a link to one of the blogs telling him how interesting it was, and I quickly followed up with another email asking him to just consider moving for one year.  To my surprise, he wasn't completely against it, and actually quite open to the idea.  (Holy crap!  I could hardly believe it!!!!!)  Then came the negatives.  We can't because.....

This is typical from Gerald.  He always sees the negatives and problems before he considers the positives and possibilities.  So I asked him to think a little differently, and consider the things we could do to it make happen, instead of thinking about the reasons why we couldn't.  
I know he has concerns about things like healthcare, safety, employment, etc, etc, etc, and they're all valid concerns.  My concern is turning 70 or 80 and wishing I had done what I'd wanted to all along instead of giving up on a dream.  Life is short, you know.  And I'm not getting any younger.

My next step was to visit Amazon.  I'm a bit of a bookaholic.  I love books.  So I did a few searches and came up with a few titles on moving to Mexico, and placed my order.  Living Abroad in Mexico by Ken Luboff arrived today, and because it was only 2$, Easy Spanish Phrase Book came along with it.  I've already started reading Living Abroad and today I told my boss that I wanted to buy a bathing cap, in Spanish.  He laughed at me.

Whatever happens, it won't be for awhile.  I still have another year before my degree is done, and a year of teacher's college after that.  I should teach for a few years before we do anything too, so that we're in a bit better financial situation than we are right now.  One concern I have is that my daughter will likely be in her teens by the time we can actually start thinking seriously about actually moving.  Will she want to go?  Will she be upset and angry?  I think the experience would be better than any classroom, but that's just me.  What do mom's know anyway, right?

Mike, my son, will be grown and out of the house by then.  He thinks I'm nuts for wanting to do this, but I told his that when he wants to come visit mom in sunny and warm Mexico, mom won't seem quite so nuts anymore.

So.  Can I make my dream come true?  Can I actually pull this off?  I want to.  Desperately.  I don't want to wake up one day and wish I had done this but know that it's too late.  The thought breaks my heart.  The only thing preventing this would be my husband.  I think that once he has some time to think about it, he may just be more on board than I am.  Let's hope!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth,

What a brave thing you did approaching the subject of moving with Gerald. Sometimes the scariest thing about our ruts is considering leaving them. After all, they are comfortable. That's how we got there in the first place.

I just want you to know it is possible. I am 35 years old and my husband and I moved to Mazatlan 9 months ago. It was the best thing we ever did.

Chuck was is a soul-killing job, working 12-18 hours a day. I was working long hours as well. We hardly got to see each other.

Then we came to Mazatlan on a vacation. We knew within 2 days that we would be moving here. We returned home with a 5 year plan to return and make Mazatlan our home. We moved 8 months later.

We both work in Mazatlan. I am a web developer and Chuck is a computer tech. We have our legal right to work here. We don't make as much money as we did in the US, but we don't need as much money either. We certainly don't work as much and spend plenty of time enjoying the sun, people, and all that Mazatlan has to offer.

If you get your teaching credentials, especially if you get an ESL certification, you will have no trouble finding work at one of the many English language schools here. With a certification, you will command a better salary than those native English speakers who just show up and teach without a certification.

There are also American and Canadian insurance companies who do business here, but real estate is a very strong possibility. Many of the top resorts employ American and Canadian sales people. I don't know if you have come across Sandy's blog yet (http://poolds.blogspot.com) but her husband makes a good living selling real estate for one of the resorts. They are also in their late 30's.

I also know many Americans here with children, who love it.

Anything is possible. Keep dreaming.

Jennifer
www.MeXscape.net

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for the link to my blog! I just wanted to drop you a line to say you most definitely can do it, heck it's easier than it seems.

Like Jennifer said, it's leaving the known that's the scariest. Once you're here it's amazing how quickly you realize you don't miss all your stuff in the storage unit and the cold weather! LOL!

Looking forward to following your adventure. If you're even in Playa del Carmen, let us know! We'd love to come out and have a beer and discuss moving and life in Mexico!