Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Shocking Food

Well, still suffering with this damn cold, although I feel better today than I did yesterday.  I couldn't really sleep the past 3 nights, but slept like a log from about 6:30 til almost 10 this morning.  I guess tomorrow I'll have to get my butt back to work.  Boooo.

I had a conversation with a friend on the weekend.  We were talking about our kids etc., and I mentioned that my oldest, Mike, is graduating from high school in June, and that we were taking the kids to Playa del Carmen for a week in August as a gift to him for his graduation.  She was shocked, and I mean SHOCKED that we weren't going to stay at a resort!  She was completely freaked out about the food!!  Horrified, would be a better description.

What's that about anyway?  Do they serve different food at the resorts?  Is the food for the resorts shipped in from Canada or the States??  The issue of food never crossed my mind as something that someone would be concerned about.  I mean, I know that fruits and veggies have to be soaked before eating them if they don't have a skin, but other than that, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the food.  She was concerned about the "freshness", which kind of made me giggle.  I've seen pictures of the mercado's and considering that as Canadians we eat a lot of produce shipped in from the states that has been picked far before it was ripe, freshness was never a concern of mine.

I know....  There are a lot of misconceptions and untruths, but I figured she'd be worried about crime, or drugs, or theft..  certainly not the food.

Speaking of which, I made enchilada's a few days ago, and Mike cannot wait to try some authentic mexican ones when we get there!

Only 8 (or so) more weeks to go!!!

4 comments:

CancunCanuck said...

Sigh, so many misconceptions. I don't know where people get some ideas. Most, if not all vacation illness comes from overdoing it, too much sun, too much booze, too much food that you don't normally eat, yet people tend to blame the resorts or the country for their overindulgence. Resorts cannot afford to make their guests sick, getting a bad rap for bad food will kill their reputation and their business, they will do whatever they can to keep everyone healthy and happy. If you think something has been sitting on the buffet too long, don't eat it! But I can guarantee that what you'll get down here will be some of the freshest stuff you will ever eat.

Tell your friend to relax and dig in!

Beth said...

That was my point too! You just don't get anything fresher than something grown in the garden and brought to the mercado!

Theresa in Mèrida said...

Mmmm enchiladas, I love enchiladas. I miss Mexican food, but there are a few Mexican restaurants here, Platos Rotos is run by a family from Puebla and the Las Jirafas chain isn't bad.
regards,
Theresa

Beth said...

Theresa - The enchiladas were a hit! I've been using canned sauce, but I think next time I'm going to try making the sauce myself. Although... The canned stuff is just so convenient!!!