Thursday, May 29, 2008

On the mend with Sopa de Lima


Well I must be on the mend because yesterday I actually found the energy to make some soup as well as the enchilladas. I was really craving soup, so I looked up a recipe for sopa de lima, and thanks to Emerill Lagasse on the Food Network, I found one and cooked up a batch.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_34901,00.html




I've always wanted to try it, figuring that since I love lemon and lime, it would probably be something I'd like, and I sure wasn't disappointed! I may have overdone it with the lime a bit, so I just added more broth to even it out. The recipe called for mexican oregano, but all I had was regular stuff. I omitted the fried tortillas as well, but now I can see how they would compliment the soup nicely.

The other thing I found in the grocery store was masa harina. I'd love to try making my own tortillas, but I'd probably need a tortilla press. I'll have to do a little research and find out how they're made authentically. You can't find corn tortillas here pre-made in the stores unfortunately, so I've been using whole wheat for anything I need them for.

I don't fry them before making enchilladas, but I'd love to try that as well. I bet the flavour of a corn tortilla would be amazing after lightly frying!

So now I have yet another kitchen gadget that I want. I'm not sure where the heck I'll put it as my kitchen is loaded with toys already.

4 comments:

Theresa in Mèrida said...

I love it, you can buy masa harina in Canada and I can't buy corn meal in Mexico. I think you can make acceptable corn tortillas with a rolling pin.
regards,
Theresa

Beth said...

Oh, good idea!

No corn meal in Mexico?????

Theresa in Mèrida said...

I think you can buy cornmeal in places like Lake Chapala where they have lots of foreign imports, I have heard that Pascadeli which is a "restaurant supply foreign import" store sells it, but I haven't gone there.
For all practical purposes, not in the Mercado or in the supermarket, maybe in another part of the Republic but certainly not here in Merida.
I almost bought polenta at Liverpool (a high end British dept store) but it was full of bugs, sigh. Since TIM they won't be getting anymore until they sell the 3 bags of unusable stuff first. (insert wry expression here).
regards,
Theresa

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I begin on internet with a directory