Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Me and my books

I have this thing for books.  I absolutely love them.  It doesn't really matter what kind of book it is either.  Could be reference, fiction, cookbook, atlas, how-to, different time periods, non-fiction, even dictionaries and anthologies - whatever works for me.  Which makes me wonder...   When and if we ever get ourselves to Mexico, what am I going to do with all these books?

I can't see myself giving them away, although that would make the most sense.  There are some that I'd want to bring with me and some that I might consider giving to my son (who by the way is afflicted with the same problem).  

Wherever we went there would have to be an English library.  I would, of course, continue my love affair with Amazon as well.  But if we end up only being there for a year, that means that I'd have to curb my addiction for books, otherwise I'd end up trying to haul a bunch of new books back from Mexico to Canada.

Maybe I should have developed an addiction to something easier.....

4 comments:

Theresa in Mèrida said...

We got rid of a lot of books, which if I had to do over again, I would NOT have done. The ones we kept we sent m bag. It worked out to about 35 usd for each 60 pounds of books, and took about 3 months. We did have to pay $170 mxp aduana (duty) on one box because "they" said that since those were technical books we could sell them blah,blah, blah...there is not supposed to be duty on books.
I recommend storing your books until you decided to stay and then shipping them M-bag via the USPS.
Books are expensive here and shipping is expensive. Powells used to offer free shipping but stopped because of the cost. I sometimes have a book shipped to someone who is coming south and have them bring it to me in their luggage. When I visited my kids I brought 2 half empty suitcases and returned with 2 full ones, mostly books.
regards,
Theresa

Theresa in Mèrida said...

We have an English Library in Merida, it is a god send to people like me who are addicted to books.
regards,
Theresa

Sans said...

When we moved we sold virtually everything we owned....except my books. I could not bear to part with them, alot were my dad's and granddad's. I thought about donating them to a library in their names, but I couldn't. Soooooo.....we toted over 500 books to Mazatlan. My wonderful hubby did not say a word about the ton of books we had to haul!

Anonymous said...

I would think VERY carefully about reducing your books. We went whole hog and only ended up bringing maybe 20 books. We have since both had to purchase books we already owned but didn't make the cut. I'm typically a "get rid of it all" type of person, but it's tough with books, especially if you're the type who re-reads them.

We don't have an English library in Playa, but we do have one book store here that has an English section and there's a very good book store 30 minutes up the road in Puerto Morelos that sells more English books than Spanish ones.