Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What community?

So the other day it was raining (what the hell else is new), and so I was watching episodes of various shows from HGTV on my laptop. I found this show I've never seen before where people who are considering buying a house get to stay in the house for 24 hours to "test drive" it. Great concept!

So this one episode features a Canadian family from Toronto who have moved to California for work, have been searching for a house somewhere in the $750-850,000 mark (GASP!). During the show, the family takes a little walk through the community to see what it's like.

As I'm watching, they're commenting on the sense of community of the place, the little cafes, small mom and pop shops etc, which brings me back to why I hate the city I live in.

It's a mid-sized city of about 500,000 people. We're central to a ton of other places, but there's no "neighbourhood" feeling here. There's aren't any little cafes (just Tim Horton's), no mom and pop shops to speak of (big box stores abound however) and no feeling of community. The people on our street don't talk to each other, never mind socialize.

Why do people want to live like this?? I just don't get it.

Which made me think back to our stay in Playa this summer, where I had these great little conversations with a corner store owner every day. I think I spoke to him more in one week that I've ever spoken to a store owner around here! Sad, sad, sad.

What's happened to our lives that we're too busy/private/cautious/guarded/unable/unwilling to speak to people? Where has the sense of "community" and "neighbourhoods" gone???

Meh. Just pisses me off. It really does. For all people say, we could learn a lot from the everyday Mexican people. Is it time to move yet?

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I agree with you but I also know that each of us is partially responsible. What if you forced yourself to make conversation with people like you would if you were in Mexico? See if you could create some change and you might notice a sense of community creeping in!

Beth said...

I completely agree with you Nancy and I should! But part of this rat race that is Canada and the States is the lack of time. We're constantly running - here, there, back, over there, Over here. get here, get there. It's awful! I tell myself to just stop, but I find myself getting sucked into it everyday just to keep up with everything. Part of the problem I think is that the value of FAMILY has disappeared over here. Employers expect your job to be your first priority instead of your family and people do it! (This could be a whole 'nother rant here) I often wonder what happened to the values and pace of life that people had 40 or 50 yrs ago. It seems its gone and forgotten. People have 2 and 3 jobs to make the mortgage payments and no time to stop and smell the roses so to speak.

But you're absolutely right. It only takes one person to make a positive change.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a lurker who found your blog through links and is rooting for you all to make your dream come true! I currently live in the US but have lived in Mexico for short periods of time (1-3 months- spent a few summers there basically) as well as living in Europe for a few years about 8-10 years ago.

I think the important thing to remember is that when we're on vacation, it's not real life. We're freer, we're out of our element, we feel more alive and are more aware of our surroundings. We're not occupied by the daily grind, so to speak. As a result (at least in my experience) we tend to have more meaningful, profound interactions in general.

For example, my most profound love affairs, for example, have ALWAYS happened with locals when I was abroad (Europe, Mexico etc).

Wherever you are, if you believe that amazing things will happen to you- well, they often will. Wherever you go, there you are, as they say. It's a matter of perspective, and being open to things. Of course you'll have *different* experiences in Canada, Mexico, China, wherever, but each one has its own value and uniqueness.

I guess the thing to keep in mind that when Mexico becomes home to you, the shine will eventually wear off. I know that from experience. I love Mexico, warts and all (and it does have plenty of warts, believe me!) and plan to return for another extended stay as soon as I can.

I hope I'm making sense. I guess I'm just posting this because I'm sorry to see you've been feeling so negative recently (even though I don't even know you!) I'm certain you all will make your dream come true as well- just keep the faith and try to stay positive!

Jen

Cdn Cat said...

I'm a link lurker that somehow stumbled upon your blog one day and have kept coming back. Do you remember the old saying "Stop & smell the roses"?.... now you need to combine that with a newer saying "Just Do It". Slow down take the time....really smell that rose in the garden. Don't just walk /run on by. Years ago I spent a few months in Cancun as a resident and still go back any chance I get. The biggest lesson I learned while there is that I needed to slow my life pace down as well as teaching me patience. I have had the priviledge of working in a few different countries in the last few years and witnessed first hand different cultures and living within expat communities.
Maybe I'm lucky to live in a neighborhood where most people on my street do get together for a chat. We even have a neighborhood cat that we share! Everyone waves as they drive by and will even stop to chat if you happen to be out by the road. In fact we are just finishing up the job of adding a larger front porch to our house just so we can sit outside in the evening and visit with the neighbors in the summer.
Anonymous (Jen) had some great points in her post that I totally agree with.
I know winter is coming and I feel the same as you do when it comes to hibernating up her in the great white north. Chin up.... have you ever gone to Barangas on the beach in the summer for a beverage? Try it some time...

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

We're lucky to live in Guaymas - not too big, not too small. I have my route to work that I drive every morning and I see certain people everyday. I look forward to a wave and a smile from these complete strangers to the woman with short hair in a truck from Washington (me!)

Whether in downtown Seattle, rural Duvall, or Guaymas, Mike and I have always challenged strangers to return our smiles and more often than not, we get a return smile. Try that to lift your spirits!