Saturday, October 25, 2008

Movies

In an effort to reduce monthly household costs, we got rid of all the extra channels on our satellite tv account and have gone with the no-frills package.  No Food Network, Comedy Channel, Hockey channel, HGTV..  none of it.  We get very few channels and very few options.  This is fine with me, because I'm not a big tv watcher anyway.  I have my favourites, All the Law & Order shows, the CSI shows, House Hunters International and.... well I guess that's about it.  

Speaking of CSI - THEY KILLED OFF WARRICK BROWN - the FINEST LOOKING MAN ON ANY TELEVISION SHOW IN THE HISTORY OF TELEVISION!!!!   ok...  I'm better now.

When I get the urge, and the time time, to actually watch something, I look for those shows, and if they're not on, I look for a movie to watch.

I don't like horror movies, although I do enjoy a good psychological thriller - you know the kind that messes up your brain for a few days.  

I love comedies.  Office Space is one of my favourites.  I'm hoping someone will buy me a red Swingline Stapler at some point in my life.

Liar Liar is still, after all these years, one of the silliest movies I've ever seen and gives me the giggles every time I think about it.

Evan Almighty and the fish in the aquarium scene cracks me up.

Some of the Star Trek movies are good for a laugh.

The Airplane movies are classics and speaking of Leslie Neilson,

The Pink Panther is a riot!

My favourite movie of all-time is Under the Tuscan Sun.  It's my favourite for a number of reasons, and all the ex-pats living in different parts of the world could relate.

It's about a successful author, Francis, who's husband cheats on her and wants a divorce.  After it's all settled, her best friend and her partner, who are lesbians, send Francis away on a vacation - a gay tour of Tuscany.

While in Tuscany, Francis ends up jumping off the proverbial ledge and buys a run down villa and never returns to the states.  She hires a group of Polish immigrants to fix up the house, and tries her luck at love all over again with Marcello, a guy who's on the same level of gorgeousness as Gary Dourdan.

The movie is about the re-discovery of herself, healing, taking chances, learning, experiencing and living.  

This movie makes me cry every time I watch it.  I watch Francis (Diane Lane) take the chance of her life, struggle, fall down, get up and shake herself off, learn to love again and in the end succeed by following her dreams.

I love happy endings!

No comments: